Roger Williams Park Botanical Center Photo Contest & Exhibition
June 12 – October 2, 2016
Information and Rules (printable version)
To take part in the contest you must register and pay an entry fee. Details are here.
- The maximum number of photos per contestant is 3.
- Contestants may participate in only one category (General Public, Photo Club member)
- Photo size must be 8 x 10 or 11 x 14 only.
- Photos need to be matted. No frames of any type.
- Photos are to be taken between June 12 and October 2 at the RWP Botanical Center.
- Photo may not include any person. Plants, animals and insect life only.
- All photos to be submitted 9-10am, October 2, the day of the exhibition
- You are not required to label the photograph. But you may label it if you wish. Photo captions, plant identification, camera and lens information are acceptable.
- All photos must have your name, address, email and telephone # on the back.
Photos must be 8 by 10 or 11 by 14 inches. All finishes (glossy, matte, luster and metallic) are acceptable. The photographs may be matted however you choose (see examples). No frames.
- The Roger Williams Park Botanical Center 2016 Photo Contest is open to ALL photographers of any age, except employees of RWP Botanical Center and members of the BCC Board.
- Please do not include photographs of people, pets or domestic animals. Images of captive animals photographed are also prohibited. However photos of animals and insects interacting with wildlife at the RWPBC are acceptable.
- The BCC shall determine winner eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion. All decisions made by the judges are final.
- The show committee may end registration at any point if it feels that the number of entries exceeds available space for display.
- Photographs will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit. The judges are a panel of photographers and BCC members familiar with photography.
- The number of entries per category will determine actual number of awards. Hunt’s is sponsoring 1 award for Best in Show and 1 award in each category for first place and second place winners. Additional awards will be awarded in Special categories. Watch for more details on the BCC website.
- If your photograph is formally honored by the competition as an award winner, you grant RWPBC and the BCC a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, to:
- Use the photograph on the Internet in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in RWPBC and the BCC’s non-commercial communications.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for non-commercial use, RWPBC and the BCC -related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, and the like.
- Use, in connection with the RWPBC and the BCC Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Keep the photos provided, and to archive the images on CD or in other electronic forms, so that your photos can be used to support our mission and be properly credited.
- As conditions of this permission, The RWPBC and the BCC shall credit all photographs with the caption "© Person's Name" when the full name is available.
- Additional information and updates will be posted on the Botanical Center Conservancy web site. Visit often to get updates and a list of special awards as they are added.
October 2, 2016 Schedule and General Information
Botanical Center Photo Contest Exhibition 2016
Photographers are expected to arrive at the Botanical Center with their photos (rules are here) and check in at the registration table. Photographers will be given a numerical sticker to place on each photo registered for the contest (up to three photos).
A speaker from the Photographic Society of Rhode Island will give a presentation in the Blockhouse classroom during this time. More details in September when they become available.
Judging takes place.
The Exhibition space (the Mediterranean Room/greenhouse 2) is “off -limits” during this time.
The Botanical Center opens to the public.
Awards ceremony takes place.
At this time photos that have not received awards may be taken by the registrants. All photos which are not claimed on October 2 will be held at the Botanical Center's Welcome Center/ticket booth for two weeks. The Welcome Center/ticket booth is open Tuesday-Sunday from 11am-3:30 pm. Photographers may pick-up their photos during these regular hours.
- Contact information
- BCC email: email@example.com
- RWPBC Telephone # (401) 785-9450 ext. 7250